Monday, March 9, 2009

I just watched a youtube clip

That probably does not seem particularly exciting to many of you, but I assure you it is quite extraordinary. Here in East Africa the site is something of a luxury. Streaming videos is probably the most bandwidth intensive activity most people do online; when you combine this with the poor, sometimes nonexistent, state of broadband here, it is a rare occurrence. In fact, in Eldoret I could not even open the youtube site - I would get an error message similar to "page not found" while simulatenously able to open other sites.

In my new apartment in Nairobi, I have wireless (!) and it is amazingly fast. So much so that, after waiting a minute or two for the video to buffer - its not THAT fast - I was able to watch a great clip of Jon Stewart ripping apart CNBC. (Even better is Rick Santelli's actual, unbelievable rant .)

Anyway, I am back in Kenya from a great weekend in Uganda. Post to come tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment